Aluminum is one of the most widely used metals throughout the world. Despite that, not many people know just how interesting aluminum is. Here are some fun facts about aluminum that you probably did not know.
1. Approximately eight percent of the land mass of the Earth is made up of aluminum. It is also present in more than 270 minerals found in the Earth.
2. As far as metals that do not contain iron, aluminum is the most used metal. It is also the most abundant metal which is found naturally.
3. Aluminum is most used as an alloy, even when the aluminum content is near total. It is most commonly alloyed with zinc, magnesium, and copper.
4. Aluminum salts actually have no known purpose as far as plant or animal life is concerned. Interestingly, though, they are not toxic at all, and will cause no harm if ingested,
5. Recycling aluminum uses only 5% of the energy that it would take to remove it from iron ore. Recycled aluminum is just as strong as virgin aluminum and can be used in any aluminum casting foundry.
6. One single Boeing 747 aircraft contains nearly 150,000 pounds of aluminum.
7. Here is something to amaze your history loving friends! Just over 75% of all the aluminum ever extracted is still in use today.
8. In ancient times, aluminum was known as the metal of kings. This was because aluminum was actually more expensive to produce than even gold. That is, until modern production techniques became prevalent.
9. Aluminum is valued as a metal for building purposes because it is not magnetic and it cannot rust or corrode due to a thin oxidized layer forming upon its surface when it is exposed to oxygen.
10. Aluminum has actually been discovered on the moon. If humans ever colonize the moon, there will be a familiar metal waiting for them to use.
11. Aluminum is recycled with absolute efficiency. This means that it does not lose any of its natural characteristics.
Hopefully, these fun facts give you a new appreciation for aluminum and all that can be done with it.